::.:: Facilities and Equipment Nanophotonics Research Lab. At Florida International University
Prof. Panepucci’s new Lab at Florida International University
was completed in 2005 and is located inside of the new AMERI facilty
that houses the Motorola Nanofabrication Facility.
is equipped for optical characterization of photonic devices. The lab
is divided into 3 areas, an electronics/simulation room, an optical
characterization room, and a process room with 2 chemical hoods. The
total area of the lab is 600 sqft. The lab has standard vacuum,
compressed air, nitrogen and deionized water.
Prof. Panepucci’s optical characterization room is equipped with equipment purchased with the start-up funds from FIU:
- 4’x6’ ft vibration isolated Newport optical table
- 3”x4” Thorlabs optical breadboard.
- 2 Stereozoom microscopes
- Two optical testing setups where three Newport
six-degrees-of-freedom mounts are used to optically interrogate
integrated optical circuit devices.
- Optical sources used to probe test devices.
- Ando AQ4321D Tunable laser (1520nm-1620nm)
- Ando AQ4310 ASE broadband source
- ADT custom FP lasers at 1550 and 1310nm and Melles Griot HeNe 632nm.
- JDSU Lithium Niobate Modulator up to 10GHz.
- HP 11896A polarization controller and JDSU in-line
polarizers are used to test the polarization response and measure PDL
- HP 8156A - Optical Attenuator.
- Four Newport 1835C with Universal fiber detectors as
well as free-space IR and visible 818 series photodetectors, used to
measure optical power.
- Ando AQ6317B Optical spectrum analyzer is also used
in conjunction with the broadband source for measurements and
- Erickson FSU995 fusion splicer, used to assemble test
setups, connect discrete fiber-based DWDM filters, circulators,
isolators, couplers, switches and other components.
- Labview is used to control the equipment through virtual instruments (VI) environments.
Prof. Panepucci’s electronics/simulation room houses the 5 node Pentium 4, 3GHz, 1Gb cluster.
The cluster is used for carrying out RSOFT simulations using Beamprop, Bandsolve and Fullwave (FDTD).
Electronics and Measurement
It also houses our electronics characterization stations:
- HP 4145 Semiconductor Parameter Analyzer for
electrical measurements on optoelectronic chips are performed in a
Signatone manual probe station.
- EG&G 5210 Lockin Amplifier
- HP 8116A 50MHz Synthesiser Pulse/Function Generator
- Tektronix 2246a/02 4 Ch 100mhz Portable Oscilloscope
- HP 35665A Dynamic Signal Analyzer , and miscellaneous power supplies etc..