Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Florida International University
Miami, FL 33174
Email: kakkaya - dot fiu dot edu
I am a full
Professor in the Department of Electrical & Computer
Engineering at Florida International University (FIU). I received
my BS degree in Computer Science from Bilkent University, MS degree in
Computer Engineering from Middle-East Technical University,
Turkey and PhD in Computer Science from University of Maryland,
Baltimore County (UMBC). I lead
the Advanced Wireless and Security (ADWISE) Research Lab at FIU.
Previously, I was an associate professor at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale,
IL. My current research interests are :
and Network Security
- Secure Protocol Design
- IoT Security
- Cyber-physical System Security
- PKI & Key Distribution
- Blockchain Applications
- SDN-based Defense
of Things and Ad Hoc Networks
- Privacy in Smart Grid
- Privacy in Vehicular Networks
- Privacy in Smart Buildings/Homes
- Homomorphic Systems
- Energy-Efficient Protocols
- QoS Provisioning & Multimedia Processing
- Node Placement
- Coverage and Connectivity
- Coexistence of standards
check my Google Scholar Site.
What is New?
- New NSF SaTC Grant Dr. Akkaya as Co-PI `` SaTC: TTP: Small: Collaborative: Privacy-aware Wearable-Assisted Continous Authentication Framework " funded by National Science Foundation for 2 years.
Collaborative research with Florida Atlantic University. Total amount: $357K.
Dr. Akkaya to offer a new graduate course in Fall 2017: EEL 6990 - Cyber-physical Systems Security. The course covers introductory topics in cyber-physical systems security.
The goal is to expose students to fundamental security primitives specific to cyber-physical systems and to apply them to a broad range of current and
future security challenges.
- FIU to offer the first undergraduate degree on Internet of Things (IoT). Check the news .
Dr. Akkaya is the program coordinator for this new degree. See also the Miami Herald article.
- New NSF Scholarship for Service Grant Dr. Akkaya as Co-PI ``Collaborative Research: SURPASS: NSF SFS Unique Scholarship Program in Hardware and Systems Security
" funded by National Science Foundation for 5 years. Collaborative research with University of Florida. Total amount: $2,037,529.00. Please consider applying for this program.
It will provide scholarship in the area of cybersecurity to BS, MS or PhD students who are US citizens or permanent residents.
Check our website for further info: FIU CyberCorps Program.
- FIU REU Site on Security of Smart Things Summer 2017 is ongoing. Check here for activities.
- New Grant Dr. Akkaya as PI: ``DroneITS: Drone-aided Platform for Enabling Next Generation Intelligent Transport Systems"
funded by Qatar Foundation, $220K
- Dr. Akkaya is the Program Chair for IEEE LCN 2017.
- Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks most dowloaded article
in 2010: K. Akkaya and M. Younis, "A survey on routing protocols
for wireless sensor networks", Vol 3. No. 3. # of downloads:
- Number of Citations: 9660 as of Sept. 2017.
Newly accepted papers:
- N. Saputro, S. Tonyali, K. Akkaya, M. Cebe and M. Mahmoud, ``Efficient Certificate Verification for Vehicle-to-Grid Communications",
Proceedings of International Conference on Future Network Systems and Security, Gainesville, FL (to appear)
- S. Tonyali, K. Akkaya, N. Saputro and X. Cheng, ``An Attribute & Network Coding-based Secure Multicast Protocol for Firmware Updates in Smart Grid AMI Networks",
Proceedings of International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), Vancouver, Canada (to appear)
- S. Tonyali, K. Akkaya, N. Saputro, S. Uluagac and M. Nojoumian, ``Privacy-preserving protocols for secure and reliable data aggregation in IoT-enabled Smart Metering systems
Elsevier Future Generation Computer Systems Journal (to appear)
- M. Mahmoud, N. Saputro, P. Akula and K. Akkaya,``Privacy-Preserving Power Injection over a
Hybrid AMI/LTE Smart Grid Network", IEEE Internet of Things Journal (to appear)
- P. Sarisaray and K. Akkaya, ``Performance Comparison of Background Subtraction Techniques for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Network Applications",
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks (to appear)
- N. Saputro and K. Akkaya, M. Mahmoud and I. Guvenc, ``Investigation of Smart Meter Data Reporting Strategies for Optimized Performance in
Smart Grid AMI Networks", IEEE Internet of Things Journal (to appear)
- K. Rabieh, M. Mahmoud, K. Akkaya, and S. Tonyali, ``Scalable Certificate Revocation Schemes for Smart Grid AMI Networks Using Bloom Filters",
IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (to appear)
- A. Uluagac, K. Akkaya, A. Mohan, M. Cintuglu, T. Youssef, O. Mohammed, D. Sullivan``Wireless Infrastructure in Industrial Control Systems",
Book Chapter in SCADA/ICS Security ,
edited by E. Colbert & A. Kott (to appear).